Vipassana shows you how to wipe out the pain-component of experience. Vipassana shows you how to dismantle your automatic punishment-reward system so that, even though it is still running, it is running in empty space, without traction, without transmitting its power to your story telling, image-making, speaking, or movement. The...Read More
- Against Vipassana and Buddhism
- L. Ron Spock
- Bodhi rests on an infinite well of right
- Kinds of concentration
- Buddhist looking dis-identifies
- The ontology of seeing (our way out of suffering)
- Buddhist metaphysics
- The eight Jhanas
- Effective access to Buddhist analysis
- World-decomposition along the skandha fault lines
- Feel deeply and tell good stories: Vipassana-Landmark for writing
- Clinging is the matrix-solidifier
Mr. Spock articulates the nature of LRH’s magical subjectivism—that something is real only by experience and consent. Spock holds up the inconsistent physics of their recent experience as proof that the world is an illusion. Surprisingly, this fact doesn’t make much of a difference, for an illusion that is believed-in is al...Read More
Look at this question:
- What right do you have to (claim or otherwise threaten to) identify (your self) with X (moksha, nirvana, utopia)?
We can see the reasonableness of this question. Take two people, identical in every way, except that one claims to have identified with the Urgrund. What r...Read More
In the Buddhist suttas samadhi is defined as mental one-pointedness. This definition is followed through rigorously in the Abhidhamma. The Abhidhamma treats one-pointedness as a distinct mental factor present in every state of consciousness, exercising the...Read More
CSH: Chris was saying that the main Buddhist meditation practice is one where you take a close look at urges, desires, and feelings that drive intentional behavior, behavior with a (posited) goal or a purpose. It is not one where you look at ordinary physiological maintenance behavior (making proteins, pumping...Read More
We can see our way out of suffering? This is good news.
Apparently, seeing is more than it seems. This is because the seen is in fact a state of a seer. Seeing constitutes the seer. If seeing is a hybrid of sensation and conception, then seeing constitues the seer...Read More
What are the really basic elements? Here are two popular options:
- Physical matter, forces, and laws really exist. If you take a lot of it and organize it the right way, then other non-material things arise, such as sense contents, pleasure/pain, perception (conceptual recognition), automatic reaction, and consciousness. Due...
Buddhism lists eight levels of being-peeled-away (from the pain-making situation of panicked grasping for permanence inside the bewitchment of counter-subjectivity, or space):
- Awareness of universal understructure (consciousness) as Pleasant Sensations
- Awareness of under-consciousness as Joy
- Awareness of under-consciousness as Contentment
- Awareness of under-consciousness as Utter Peacefulness...
CSH: So Michael was saying that the best way to succinctly explain Buddhist metaphysics to novices is to use the mereological nihilism account. With this difference:
- You need to stress hard that the End Phenomenon or goal of all this rigorous picturing is not just an intellectual (intra-pictorial) understanding o...
Under the right chemical and conversational conditions, I can actually take myself apart along the fault lines given by Buddhist analysis. These fault lines are the five skandhas, an exhaustive analysis of Dasein:
- rūpa: sense content (passing pixels)
- vedanā: feeling (sympathetic nervous response)
- samjñā: conceptual recognition (language application)
- samskāra: fabricating volitions (automatic reaction)
- vijñāna: consciousness
When these are taken apart, what remains is the space in which...Read More
The attitude for writing well is the desire to be fearlessly honest about what is present and its deepest ground. The focal point for writing well is the horrible transparency present at every moment. Look into the heart-core of the horrible transparency present at every moment. Desire to be totally...Read More
Q: How have I bullshitted my way into to the current mess that is my life?
This is a metaphysical question. Most people rely on the sphere of mundane understanding to answer it. Here, I will rely on the modern analog of Calvin’s sensus divinus: the access granted by p...Read More